Monday, May 20, 2013

Extra Extra Messenger!!

This is a pattern for a super cool,durable messenger bag. A client asked me to make her a bag to carry her childrens toys when they go to Grandmas. I came up with this. I like this bag alot because nothing slips through and its big enough to actually use in your daily routine. I hope y'all enjoy it!




Materials
2 skeins of Red heart with Love yarn in any color
J hook
Stitches used
Ch= chain
hdc= half double crochet
Dc=double crochet
Using J hook and working with two skins
Ch 100
Hdc in 3rd chain from hook , hdc across
Row 1-25 ch 3( counts as first hdc)
turn, hdc across
At end of row 25 do not fasten off.
 
Right now you should have a big rectangle shape. Lay with wrong side facing up.  Count back 60 spaces and  join with slip stitch, slip stitch down the side fastening off at end. Do the same for the opposite side.
If you'd like to make your bag with a little bit of texture; hdc in only the top 2 loops of each hdc. It will leave a nice ridge throughout every row giving your bag a slightly different look.
Strap
Working with two strands
Ch 90
Hdc in 3rd ch from hook and across, ch3 turn
Row 2: hdc across, ch 3, turn
Row 3: hdc across, fasten off leaving long tail for sewing
Now you can decorate your bag with any applique. I used a flower pattern from Tangled Happy. I am currently making one in red with a monkey applique for a friend who had twin boys.
The first picture is of my gray messenger bag for my customer. She really loved it! The hdc is tight enough so that nothing falls out or slips through. And by using two strands the bag is durable enough to last a long time.
When I decided I wanted to share this pattern I asked a couple nice gals to test my pattern for me.The second picture is by Terri over at Cozy Baby Crochet. Awesome right!!?!! I love the embroidery work she used to decorate the cover. This shows how you can really make this bag your own. Feel free to comment if you have any questions. I would love to see your results. Please email mawbeez@gmail.com or visit my page Mama Bee's Crafty Things on facebook Till next time <3

No comments:

Post a Comment